[CQ-Contest] Where to Start in SS CW

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Nov 2 21:16:53 EST 2001

I've been reviewing my rate sheets for SS CW last year.  I started on 10M,
went to 15 in the second hour, to 20 in the third, and finally got to 40M
after 00Z.

My rate sheet shows 63 in the first hour, 52 in the second, 60 in the
third, and 64 in the 4th, but beginning at 0100Z I averaged 80/hour on 40CW
for the next 5 hours.

This looks to me as if there's room for improvement the first 4 hours.  On
the theory that you never make up what you lose the first 8 hours, how can
I pump up the early rate?  From the East, what do people think?  Forget 10m
and start lower, like maybe 20?  Or even start and stay on 40, and move to
80 after 0100Z?

Given SS rules, it looks like I could get the high-band people I miss
Saturday sometime during the day on Sunday.  What are YOU going to do???

73, Pete N4ZR

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com