[CQ-Contest] RE: Stealth Operating

Alan wq5w at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 07:06:38 EST 2001

Jeff,

I operated from an apartment from 1998-early 2000.  I
made over 5000 QSO's and worked over 200 countries
with 50W and an MFJ loop antenna-mostly in contests.
I was constantly amazed at how well it performed.

The key word is stealth.  When I first started, I had
the loop outside on the balcony.  I instantly started
getting TVI complaints.  I moved the loop inside,
waited a couple of weeks and started operating again.
Guess what-no TVI complaints!  I think the sight of an
antenna, combined with a poor cable TV system in the
apartment caused those complaints (I never experienced
any TVI-even on the TV in the same room as the
antenna).  The loop performed just as well indoors as
out.  Complete details of this operation and several
contest stories with it are available at my website
www.qsl.net/wq5w.

I now have a house with tower/beams, but I think the
experience of operating with the loop has made me a
better operator.

73,
Alan, WQ5W