It's called "Point/Counterpoint":Re: [CQ-Contest] SS observations ( kinda long)

tgstewart at pepco.com tgstewart at pepco.com
Mon Nov 5 16:30:30 EST 2001

I agree.  When the Western US guys can no longer run stations on 10 and 15
meters in SS at more than 80 an hour on CW, the contest should be over. ;)

73, Ty K3MM

David O Hachadorian <k6ll at juno.com>
Sent by: owner-cq-contest at contesting.com
11/05/2001 06:29 AM

        To:     cq-contest at contesting.com
        cc:     k2ua at arrl.net, k9ig at contesting.com, jbaumgarte at aol.com,
jdroller at tricon.net, k8cc at mediaone.net, k2wr at arrl.net, k0rx at arrl.net,
dave_hoaglin at abtassoc.com, n0ax at arrl.net, n6ig at arrl.net, k4za at juno.com,
w7ut at infowest.com, SteveWS4F at aol.com, estearns1 at home.com, w5asp at aol.com,
davidshipman at home.com, k1ki at arrl.org, contests at arrl.org
        Subject:        Re: [CQ-Contest] SS observations ( kinda long)

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:03:35 EST KI9A at aol.com writes:

> Well, I sit here Sunday night after another fun SSCW.  I can't help
> to ponder
> if (when?) the CAC may change the SS rules to help cure the Sunday
> doldrums.

I totally agree. This contest is WAY too long, and high
power is completely unnecessary. The USA/Canada wreck the
bands worldwide. Sunday is a boring drag,
and the top scores all start to converge, because there
is a limited pool of stations to work. This scoring
convergence itself is a powerful indicator that the game is
defective.

My recommendation would be to enhance this contest by changing
it to 18 out of 24 hours, low power or QRP only. CW could
be even shorter, but 18 seems to be a reasonable compromise
between CW and SSB, where there are more stations to work.
The 24 hour period would span an entire diurnal propagation
cycle, helping to equalize conditions geographically.

I have sent copies of this message to all members of the
ARRL Contest Advisory Committee, and urge others to likewise
express their opinion to the people who make the rules.
Their e-mail addresses should be in the header of this message,
and are also listed below.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL at juno.com