[CQ-Contest] Posting packet spots in SS

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Mon Nov 5 20:35:10 EST 2001

Here is a note that will no doubt generate some response.

I entered SS in the Unlimited category, so I obviously wanted lots of packet
spots during the entire contest.  The more the merrier, so to speak.

So in my desire for spots, I decided to post lots of spots.  Hoping, of
course, for others to do the same.  As I tuned the bands looking for new
ones, I routinely hit the alt-F3 key with each and every station up and down
the bands without bothering to post their Sections.  Since I was moving
quickly and mainly posting CQing stations, I didn't even know their Sections.

Here is the problem:  I got not one but two messages from a WD8 complaining
that I was not posting the Sections.  He says that what I was doing "makes no
sense".  Fortunately, other's jumped on him, with one guy telling him "if
it's new, work it"!

Well, IMHO, what I was doing makes a great deal of sense. I was feeding the
Unlimited boys the fodder they needed to support their category, and hoping
for other's to do the same.

In posting spots, I don't feel that I have an obligation to supply any of the
contact information.  (Although, I know that others would love to know the
Section in their search for multipliers.)  Heck, others could even argue for
posting the Precedent and Check; wouldn't that be helpful?

I would like to know others' opinions of this issue: Should any information
other than the station's call and frequency, such as Section, be included
with the spot?  Have there been any standards established for contest
postings in general, or for SS in particular?

73, George, K5KG

George I. Wagner, K5KG
Productivity Resources LLC
941-312-9450