[CQ-Contest] Contesters ARE Athletes

Bob Wanderer aa0cy at VRINTER.NET
Thu Nov 8 20:17:30 EST 2001

Only if they're football players (etc) to start with!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-cq-contest at contesting.com
[mailto:owner-cq-contest at contesting.com]On Behalf Of
W4PRZ at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 7:57 PM
To: cq-contest at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesters ARE Athletes

Hey, Maybe it won't be to much longer before we start seeing
radio contesters
appearing on boxes of Wheaties! You know you've made it when
that happens.
John W4PRZ

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

From: Leigh S. Jones" <kr6x at kr6x.com (Leigh S. Jones)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 17:59:45 -0800
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Realtime Scoring Site

There are some good things about this concept and some bad.

One problem is that giving away your score in real time helps
others to overtake you, if needed, or helps others to stay ahead
of you if already ahead.  This actually works -- although you
operate the entire contest with the intention of maximizing your
score, you will always be better prepared to make good
decisions as to contest strategy if you know whether you are
presently ahead or behind, and by how much.  In the last
minutes of the contest you could make a decision whether to
make a band change or stay put, etc., based on the knowledge
that you needed a given level of performance to win.

Giving away this information to opponents who might not
reciprocate could potentially cost you a victory.  Drawing a
parallel with auto racing, under the present system, without
realtime scoring information, each entrant competes on a
different racetrack with no view of his competitors position
relative to his own.  If he's right behind, then he knows he
must push it a little bit harder in the turns in order to overtake
the leader.  If he has a 3 lap advantage, he knows he must
take a long pit stop several laps before the end to change
tires and fill up on gas.  If he has a 3 carlength advantage, he
knows he must not take the long pit stop -- until he sees his
opponent take to the pits -- instead he must risk running out
of gas to keep his lead.

If one has the information and the other does not, then the
informed competitor has a very practical advantage.  Entry
into such a contest would then require either a certainty
regarding your chances of victory, or a mechanism that
assures that all competitors would correctly report their
competitive position.