[CQ-Contest] Re: Realtime Scoring Site

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Fri Nov 9 11:49:07 EST 2001

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 08:11:46AM -0800, Leigh S. Jones wrote:

> We'd all be pleased to see the invention of new ways to improve
> the "spectator sports" aspects of our beloved hobby, but this is
> not the top priority.  The top priority is making the competitive
> field fair and fun.  I'd enjoy, for instance, seeing a "news event"
> simulcast of the CQWW showing sounds and faces of the
> operators in action.
>
> At the same time I realize that the introduction of anything that
> would unsettle the competitive balance and result in an unfair
> competition would damage contesting beyond belief.

And for whatever it's worth, contesting is not the sole sport in this
predicament.  Orienteering is a serious competitive sport that almost
by definition precludes the "spectator."  This is one of the main
reasons orienteering is not yet an Olympic competition - it's basically
impossible to watch it on TV.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com