[CQ-Contest] band-pass filtering -- a new approach?

Maurizio Panicara i4jmy at iol.it
Sat Nov 10 20:07:06 EST 2001

I think that a passband filter on the TX helps no better than a notch filter
in normal conditions, I mean with a good transmitter and a good amplifier,
but may affect the overall reliability of the station since discrete
components are to withstand high power levels.

A normal PA with a simple PI network and reasonable Q will attenuate the
second harmonic more than 40 dB, probably 45 to 50 dB beeing typical, one
with a  PI-L can be at 60 dB rejection.

A good notch filter made with low loss line in the form of a shorted stub
easily adds another 35 dB attenuation, and if one want to have huge
attenuation more than a single stub can be used. Best stubs are those with
highest Q and lines with higher Q are those with air dielectric or foam. The
difference with polyethilene is quite appreciable as the used frequency goes
up.
It's proper to focus that the ultimate harmonics rejection is also functon
of the transmitting antenna that's in some cases is a good filter itself.

Incidentally, I'm not a supporter of open stubs because of the high voltage
involved at their ends.

On the other hand, filtering at RX edge is quite critical and when levels
are quite high some intersting effects take place.
During the last WWDX we had problems to receive on any band when
transmitting, on 40m in spite that we used extra RX filters that had more
than 70 dB rejection.
At first, this effect was supposed to be a transmitting problem but later,
replacing the first set of filters with another one the problem disappeard.
Apparently this was very funny because the filters working properly had less
attenuation and a worse shape factor while the first ones were absolutely
great performers under the analyzer and the tracking generator.
In practice, anyway, the second set of filters is worse in terms of absolute
attenuation but had been designed to withstand 200 W, has a good return loss
and really behaves as a linear device in all cases. The first filters were
instad typically an RX device (a popular design)  and, although theorically
able to manage a few watts, something (may be the small coil cores or some
of the capacitors) did not behave totally linear and caused the problem.

In a case like this, the biggest out of band rejection of a filter placed
after a PA does nothing because an high RF level on the fundamental is
overloading something at the RX edge. The same is valid when external non
linearities (i.e. because of rust)
do generate troubles (ghost signals) using the fundamental frequency or
frequencies.

73,
Mauri I4JMY