[CQ-Contest] Contesting with 100w

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Nov 13 16:07:50 EST 2001

On 10/31/01 11:06 AM, Mr. Mecseri at loumecseri at bestnetpc.com wrote:

>Have anybody had a good RUN of contest QSOs from the U.S. mainland using
>100 watts and a multi band Vertical antenna?

I think the operative words in this sentence are "good" and "mainland".

I had a couple of fair runs in NAQP in both CW and Phone with 100 watts
to a R7000. I've had more success with a low 80m doublet. I'm not that
great a CW operator, but on phone I've had the rate meter over 100 in
bursts.

If you mean for DX contests, then you may be out of luck. A multi-band
vertical isn't a good DX antenna unless it is on the beach of a rare
QTH....

>If yes, what is your secret?

I don't think there are any "secrets", per se. You just apply your
experience.

One thing I've discovered is that with low power (and crummy antennas),
it doesn't always pay to be where all the action is. You have to be heard
above the din. Like in SS phone last year. Everyone was on 10m at the
start, and I couldn't get through. So I made tracks for 20m. I found a
relatively clear frequency and got a few good runs going.

The main thing to realise is where your station is effective. The R7000
doesn't seem LOUD to me on any band except 40m. On 20-10m, you're
contending with stations that have beams.

You have to figure out where your station is effective.

>Was ever a 100 watts / Vertical category considered as a Class for
>contests?

In CQ WPX, you can enter in the TS category. It's known as TS with no T.

--

The main thing you learn in contesting with LP and a crummy vertical is
to maximize your opportunities and cut your losses. S & P is mostly what

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com