[CQ-Contest] RIGBlaster et al

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 14 15:12:59 EST 2001

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 09:31:41AM -0800, Andy Faber wrote:

> Regarding soundcards:
>   IMHO, using a soundcard is the only way to go for DVP.  The main reason is
> that you can produce .wav files with an editor, so you can optimize each
> file, e.g., by adjusting volume of sections of it, cutting out pauses, etc.
> You can also have a variety of recordings available, so they can be reused
> for each contest without rerecording them each time.

Which guarantees that your recorded voice will sound different from your
real voice every time.

I often re-record my DVK CQ message several times a day during the contest.
The sound of your voice changes during the course of a day, particularly
during a phone contest where you end up using it a lot.  You get tired,
you've drunk something recently, you're caffeinated, etc. all affect the
tone in your voice.  Having your DVK recording be reasonably close to your
live voice helps eliminate the audible dissonance that can maybe turn off
the casual operator listening on your frequency.  This may be only a
subtle dissonance, but subtle things can add up.

Of course, if you're trying to do the entire phone contest without ever
speaking... I can't help you there :-)

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com