[CQ-Contest] Re: [TowerTalk] 80m Dipole ssb/cw switching

Jim Idelson k1ir at designet.com
Thu Nov 15 07:44:03 EST 2001

Hi Tom,

You said,

>The most simple system is just to build a "fat" dipole. If you fan the ends of
a dipole out several feet with a spreader, it is quite easy to cover the CW and
SSB areas without any type of mess. A cage dipole would also work.<

A natural question is whether this approach will broadband my 80M wire Yagi if
I fan the ends of all three elements. Not just swr bandwidth, but gain and f/r
bandwidth.

As an aside, when you fan the ends of a properly tuned single-wire element, as
you describe, what happens to its resonant frequency? Does it end up needing to
be shorter or longer?

73,

Jim

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com