[CQ-Contest] Re: [TowerTalk] 80m Dipole ssb/cw switching

Mike W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Nov 15 11:59:00 EST 2001

Hi Dave,

I used a similar variation of the technique you describe at my station
in Ohio. Since I was partial to CW, I cut my 80 meter inverted-vee
for 3550 KHz, and then used a tuner match the antenna in the SSB
portion of the band. This allowed me to run "tuner free" on CW.

Just out of curiosity I modeled this configuration. As it turns out,
the additional loss penalty I was paying on SSB due to the feedline
mismatch was only about 0.8 dB (I was using around 100 feet of
RG-213 coax). This was born out in practice as then antenna
seemed to play fine on both modes.