[CQ-Contest] Disturbing...very disturbing...

Ron Wetjen wd4ahz at gte.net
Mon Nov 26 11:38:10 EST 2001

Dale L Martin wrote:

> No contesting (or even DX'ing) forums?

(At the Southeastern Division Convention December 1-2, in Palmetto,
Florida)

Who actually shows up for these, besides contesters anyway?  Is this
actually a good recruitment tool for new contesters?

> There is a meeting of the FL Contest Group from 11:00a.m.-12:00noon,
> but that's it.

A couple comments on Dale's post.

1) The FCG will be there in full force, as we are at EVERY major
Hamfest/Convention in the State of Florida.  We also hold meetings in
different parts of the State between hamfests/contests ... to expose FCG
and contesting to others.  In other words, potential members don't have
to come to us ... we go to them!  It must be working, as our goal for
2001 was to hit the 100 mark for FCG members ... I believe we're at 105
right now.
(We would probably have more, but the 175 Mile club circle doesn't cover
all of Florida, and there aren't many contesters in the Atlantic Ocean
or Gulf of Mexico ... but I digress.)

2) What does that mean?  It means most of the folks who are serious (or
even semi-serious) about contesting, are already members of FCG.
However, we're always on the lookout for more members, and work on
recruiting them.

3) A good portion of Amateurs in Florida, are:

a) elderly and retired
b) live in deed restricted communities
c) are "shack on a belt" Amateurs
d) have no interest in contesting

(See 1 & 2 again, on how we get the recruitment job done!)

4) We held a "Contest Forum" at the Hamfest last year ... only FCG
members showed up (those already interested in contesting!).  Although
towards the end, word must have gotten out that Dan, K1TO, and Jeff,
WC4E, were talking about their trip to WRTC ... as the room started
filling up!  (Of course, the other possibility was they were trying to
get seats to hear Riley Hollingsworth, who had the room after us.)

5) FCG members are actively involved in organizing and working at the
Hamfest/Convention.  The Hamfest Chairmen is an FCG member, the WCF
Section Manager and Assistant Section Manager (who will be manning the
ARRL booth) are both new FCG members, and other FCG members, will be
setting up "Field Day" stations (Emergency Communications Trailers and
100' Portable towers) for handling "talk in" duties, and to put WX4TBW
on the air from the Convention, in order to participate in the National
Weather Service Special Event that takes place the same weekend.  I'm
sure others are doing other jobs as well, but these are the ones I can
think of off the top of my head.

So as you can see, we do a little more than sit in a meeting room BS'ing
with other contesters.  We're making ourselves known in other ways ...
many of us being involved in "non-contest" activities as well.

Finally:

6) FQP ... what more can be said?  This is the BEST recruitment tool and
gets many non-contesters in Florida on the air ... they have fun, and
may even get hooked (a couple FQP participants joined FCG as a result of
participation in the FQP!)  By the way, only 151 until the Florida QSO
Party - April 27 & 28, 2002 (Sorry OJ ... couldn't resist!)

73, Ron  WD4AHZ

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com