[CQ-Contest] Inspiration or ?

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Oct 2 18:41:45 EDT 2001

I admire people like Bill and Paul who have the motivation, commitment and
resources to build a very big station.  At the same time, I think Bill's
message carries an implication that because someone feels he (or she) can't
compete at a top ten level with the big guns, he will choose not to compete
at all.

I think we need to stress over and over again that there are all sorts of
ways to win at contesting, besides competing for a national or world title.
 Section, state and call area wins, single-band wins,...

We often talk about competing against ourselves -- doing better than last
year is a win.  Friendly rivalries across town or across the country, born
of the knowledge that you have similar stations and motivation, can be
great fun.  Simply developing skills or knowledge of propagation, seeing
yourself get better -- that's a win too.

Maybe there should be a separate section on contesting.com with links to
budget contesters' web sites, discussion of cost-effective contesting, etc.
Certainly such a section in NCJ would be welcome.  What say, folks?

73, Pete N4ZR

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com