[CQ-Contest] Inspiration or ?

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Wed Oct 3 01:47:17 EDT 2001

I think Bill has made several good points in his note.

Its been my experience that there are two types of stations/owners who
operate contests.  One type builds the biggest station he or she can afford
with equipment optimized for contesting.  The second type buys a rig and
some antennas and decides to contest with what he has.

I don't think pictures of large stations have inspired anyone to go out and
build one.  Other big station owners might peruse the pictures for ideas,
or perhaps a brave little gun might muster up his courage and call the big
station owner and ask to guest op or try to get on a multi-op
team.  Otherwise, I think the little gun will throw up his hands in despair!

Reverse-inspiration can also be induced by geography.  Holding up NT1N or
KT3Y for their accomplishments is a fine thing, but those feats cannot be
duplicated by anyone off of the East Coast, and the realization that your
locale is working against you brings more discouragement.

I don't think any reasonable little gun is going to be encouraged by the
rah-rah of a few big guns touting their results on occasion.  If you want
to encourage little guns, more attention needs to be paid to contests where
they can compete - contests like SS, NAQP, state QSO parties, etc.

The other way to encourage little guns is by inclusion, and this is best
done by local or regional contest clubs bringing these ops into their ranks.

Station descriptions do have their place.  I initially got started in ham
radio by reading the column by Herb Brier (W9???) in Popular Electronics
magazine which people would send in station descriptions and what they were
working.  For the most part, these were Novices but the romanticism and
adventure of what they were doing was what got me hooked.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com