[CQ-Contest] Contest Writeup Errors

Tree N6TR tree at kkn.net
Mon Oct 8 14:21:51 EDT 2001

At the risk of starting up a new thread on log checking, I would
like to submit that the biggest headache that most log checkers
are dealing with these days actually has nothing to do with
the contents of the log.  It has much more to do with the summary
sheet.

Summary sheets come in many different forms - if they come at
all.  This is the form used to indicate your power level, who
was operating, what category you are entering and perhaps what
club or team you are part of.

Most of the errors reported after the results are published are
due to  this information being incorrect.  Simply put, there are
far fewer complaints about log checking errors than there are
about being in the wrong category.

Here are some of the problems dealing with summary sheets:

1. Formats not standardized.

2. Terms not common (low power might be shown as LP, 100W, 150W
   or FT1000MP barefoot).

3. Information is missing.

4. The summary sheet is sent as a separate file and gets overwritten
   by the log.

5. Most of the process to pull information from the summary sheet
   is manual.  A human has to read the summary sheet and scan for
   the information.  This is very time consuming and errors are
   easy to make.

The solution to this problem isn't hard to visualize.  If we had
a standardized format for the summary sheet - it would make pulling
data from it much easier.  Furthermore, if the summary sheet was
somehow integrated into the log - so it was all one file, it would
eliminate any of the remaining issues.

In fact, the solution already exists for most contests:  Cabrillo.

Using Cabrillo to submit your logs is simply the best way to help us
improve the accuracy of the results.

There is another benefit to using this format.  Many of the processes used
to receive logs are being automated to the point where a Cabrillo format
log can be processed with very little (if any) human handling.  This
minimizes the opportunity for error and greatly improves our productivity.
If someone mails me a zipped attachment in non Cabrillo format, I can easily
spend five minutes getting it converted to the format I need for the log
checking software.  This is more time than it takes to get 100 Cabrillo
logs into the same condition.

All of this adds up to the following point...  if you submit your log
in Cabrillo, you are doing your part to help improve the log processing
process.

So, if you have been looking for an excuse to finally update your software
to support this format, I hope I have provided it.  It is very frustrating
to spend hours working on non Cabrillo logs because those submitting them
can't take the time to update their tools to generate Cabrillo.

A back up method to help us catch errors is to list your score on 3830
using the form provided by WA7BNM.  The score summaries that are produced
from this input provide a quick and easy double check.  For example, in
the Stew Perry results, I found that the #1 QRP score was listed on 3830,
but missing from the results.  I was able to fix the problem before the
results come out.  I know that the ARRL uses this as a double check as
well.

Also, most contests will post the logs received and perhaps what
category they are in.  The Stew Perry is a good example.  Keep an
eye on these to make sure your log was received and properly
categorized.

Finally, when submitting your Cabrillo file - make sure it is
a simple ASCII message.  Having it zipped or encoded as a binary
file makes the process more complicated on our end.  An easy way
to do this is to open up the file in an editor; copy all of it;
and then paste it into your e-mail message.  Make sure to turn
off any html options.  You can always send the mail to yourself
to see what it really looks like as a test, or feel free to
send it to me and ask for feedback.

73 Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com