[CQ-Contest] Why I Won't Be in CQWW CW This Year

George Fremin III - K5TR geoiii at kkn.net
Mon Oct 15 06:55:11 EDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 08:28:35AM -0400, Pete Smith wrote:

> this year, at least not seriously.  The reason?  As happens most years, the
> contest falls on the weekend immediately after US Thanksgiving.  This is

I personally like this - it gives me more rest before the contest.

> This is all the more aggravating because it is so unnecessary.  On the
> following weekend, the first weekend in December, the only scheduled
> contests (according to WA7BNM's contest calendar) are the TARA RTTY Sprint,
> the Tennessee QSO Party and the QRP ARCI Holiday Spirits Sprint.  Which of
> these wouldn't switch with CQWWCW in a heartbeat?  So why does CQWW insist
> on maintaining the CW contest on Thanksgiving weekend, when another option
> is so readily available?  Tradition?  Fear of perturbing records set a week
> earlier?  Or just inertia?

- This will not work.

- The CQ WW is on the last full weekend of November.

- The ARRL 160 contest is on the first full weekend of December following
  the first Friday of December.

- [US] Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday of November.

In 2001 there is a weekend between CQ WW CW and ARRL 160 because Saturday
falls on Dec 1 - no Friday before it thus no 160 contest.

In 2002 this also happens because the weekend between is Nov 30/Dec 1
so it is not a full weekend and neither contest is on that weekend.
But 2002 is also special because the fourth Thursday falls in the
week AFTER the last full weekend of November so your plan would put
next years CQ WW CW on the weekend of Nov 30/Dec 1 and this would
be the weekend just two days after [US] Thanksgiving.

In the rest of the years, this "empty" weekend between the contests does not exist.

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
geoiii at kkn.net
830-868-2510
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com