[CQ-Contest] Why I Won't Be in CQWW CW This Year

Michael Keane, K1MK k1mk at arrl.net
Mon Oct 15 10:25:31 EDT 2001

On Mon, 15 October 2001, "Kenneth E. Harker" wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 08:28:35AM -0400, Pete Smith wrote:
> > On the following weekend, the first weekend in December, the only scheduled
> > contests (according to WA7BNM's contest calendar) are ...
>
> And the ARRL 160 Meter Contest.

Not THIS year. Because the following weekend is not the first full weekend in
Decemeber; it's a split weekend, that's why it seems to be so empty. If it
were that easy to find an alternate date it might have been done already.

The only full weekend in this period without an ARRL sponsored contest having
signinificant domestic U.S. participation is the 2nd full weekend in November,
the weekend between the SS weekends. But that weekend conflict with at least several non-US sponsored DX contests.

Ain't no real easy solution to this one. BTW is there any U.S. contester who,
at sometime during their career, has not encountered a significant personal
conflict with the scheduling of a major DX contest on Thanksgiving weekend?

> If the country distribution used by WRTC 2002 to assign competitors is
> accurate, then US contesters represent just 1/4 of the total.

Accurate if you're counting the number of logs submitted for CQWW.

73,
Mike K1MK
k1mk at alum.mit.edu

http://www.peoplepc.com