[CQ-Contest] re: Why I Won't Be in CQWW CW This Year

Guy Olinger k2av at contesting.com
Mon Oct 15 13:00:06 EDT 2001

Hear, hear...

Thursday noon/afternoon for turkey & stuffing out in Morganton, NC at
Mother-in-law's & 3 hr drive back that night. Friday a.m. travel to
eastern NC for NY4A (2 1/2 hrs). Beer & afternoon to figure out who
sets where at 7 p.m. Sunday 7 p.m. beer & evening to figure out who
*should* have set where. Monday (always vacation day) drive home & put
my station back together for SS.

Wife tries to arrange the thanksgiving weekend days (Fri, Sat, Sun) to
work (nursing shift supervisor) and get as much off as possible around
Christmas. I urge her on. She doesn't miss me when she's working, and I
take care of mandatory momma days.

Perfect.

Of course this doesn't work when CQWW misses the thanksgiving weekend.

So you may infer that one of the reasons that CQWW is still on
Thanksgiving weekend, is that a lot of us like it that way.

Course all my family lives near Raleigh NC now. Anyone who won't move
to Raleigh gets disinherited, except wife's folks who are all in
Hickory/Morganton.

73

--- Bill Fisher W4AN <w4an at contesting.com> wrote:

> > The reason?  As happens most years, the
> > contest falls on the weekend immediately
> > after US Thanksgiving.
>

> This is the one weekend that lets me sleep all day Friday without
> taking a
> vacation day.  Thanks, but no thanks.   Not that it will... but it
> doesn't
> need to change.
>
> After I asked my wife to marry me, I told her "Listen, I'm crazy.  I
> live
> for this contesting stuff."  She replied "Ya, I understand."  I said
> "No,
> you don't.  I can tell you what I'm going to be doing on the last
> weekend
> of November 20 years from now!"
>
> We've been married 14 or 15 years I guess... I think she is starting
> understand now.
>
> :)
>
> 73
>

> --