[CQ-Contest] Why I Won't Be in CQWW CW This Year

James Neiger n6tj at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 17 01:56:26 EDT 2001

Just off a plane from Washington National Airport (definitely an interesting
experience, especially flying over The Pentagon), and was chagrined to read
all of the missives pertaining to CQ WW CW.

What an utter, abject waste of time.............  Realize that the Wizards
who make the CQ WW rules do so with absolute impunity as to what might make
sense.  And even if it "just might make sense", it can't be changed because
of TRADITION!  I love that one.  That's the way its always been, if it ain't
broke don't fix it, blah, blah, blah.  I wonder if our ancestors applied the
same logic to switching from the horse and buggy to the new-fangled
automobile?

I too love the CQ WW CW, and doubt that I've missed more than one or two
since 1955. In fact, it's such a high priority in my life, I think I can
safely say, I've operated EVERY ONE from a DX spot since 1980.  No
exceptions.  For many of the years, I could not have
 cared less if it was Thanksgiving weekend.  For other years, I realize its
been a burden on the family, and NO ONE has a more understanding radio-wife
than I.  (Marilyn loves going on radio contest expeditions, and has even
been known to schlep ALPHA transformers amongst her airplane carry-ons).

But I understand, too, that especially in the USA, it IS often a conflict
for those who try and balance their family lives with their radio lives.
And what was once maybe OK, is perhaps less OK now as our contesters have
children, grandchildren, and extended families.

Priorities change, and our USA guys are increasingly forced to make the
decision:  to contest, or to family!

Perhaps that is why some of us are observing a lower percentage of USA QSO's
in the CQ WW CW (see K1AR's column in September 2001 CQ, reporting my recent
observations).  Is there a correlation?  Maybe so.

And if perhaps, moving CQ CW off Thanksgiving weekend (this happens
naturally every 7th year), would result in an INCREASE in USA activity,
isn't it maybe in everyone's interest to enhance participation?

The argument that the rest of the world "wouldn't get the word" is just so
much Bravo Swannee.  How long did it take for the DX Contest community to
realize that the ARRL DX CONTEST was no longer 2 weeekends per mode?  Not
long, methinks.  With instant world-wide INTERNET communications, how many
think this would be a problem?

Rather than try and move CQ WW CW in to December, I'd just pull it forward a
week or two.  Let SS move.

But WHY am I even suggesting this?  It's just more waste of your and my
time.  Realize it will never happen.  The Contest Wizards have told us
what's best for us............

Vy 73,

Jim Neiger
N6TJ