[CQ-Contest] Caffeine & Performance Follow-up

Sylvan Katz jskatz at sk.sympatico.ca
Fri Oct 26 09:23:33 EDT 2001

For brief details see "Caffeine keeps soldiers sharp"

http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/diet.fitness/10/26/military.caffeine.ap/index
.html

For complete report from the Institute of Medicine see "Caffeine for the
Sustainment of Mental Task Performance: Formulations for Military
Operations"
http://books.nap.edu/books/0309082587/html/index.html

"Caffeine can help increase reaction time and improve performance for
military servicemen who must perform complex tasks or who need help staying
alert for longer periods of time, according to a new report by the National
Academy of Sciences.
The report, by the academy's Institute of Medicine, found that 100 to 600 mg
of caffeine, the equivalent of one to six cups of coffee, can help "maintain
cognitive performance," especially in times of sleep deprivation."

I am off to brew a few liters of my favorite JAVA for the CQWW SSB

.. sylvan

Sylvan Katz, VE5ZX
Saskatoon, SK

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com