[CQ-Contest] amps in series

k8cc k8cc at mediaone.net
Sat Oct 27 16:32:07 EDT 2001

Dave,

K5GO and I tried this setup back in the early 80s at his dad's station (the
original N5DX).  We had no problems at all when daisy-chaining combinations
of SB-220s and L-4Bs.  Most of this work was on CW at about 1KW output,
even though we were driving the amps with Drake C-Lines.

One important characteristic of SB-220s and L-4Bs is that they use a single
relay for T/R switching.  For example, the SB-220 uses a single 3PDT Potter
& Brumfield style 10A power relay for input switching, output switching and
cutoff bias control.  The 1000W RF from the first amp passing through the
second amp is carried around the input on the same rated contacts that
switch the output, so the relay is not likely to fail.  Your point about
the RG-58 on the input is valid, this being the weak link in the
system.  Oh well, this is AMATEUR radio - what would life be like without
living in the design margins?  :-)

All of the MFJ/Ameritron amps I've seen share this same "single T/R relay"
approach so these might be more candidates for daisy-chaining.  However,
amps which use lower power reed relays and such for the input switching are
definite no-no's for daisy-chaining.

Before I would daisy-chain six SB-220s as a poor man's Alpha 87a, I would
instead look at minimizing how many I would need in series.  With your
setup using a tribander, you might have to have three amps daisy-chained
for 20/15/10, but it would be better to have a RF coax relay to select amps
in separate paths to the 160, 80, and 40 antennas.  By plugging the low
band antennas directly into amps dedicated to those bands, you would also
eliminate having a high power coax switch after the amp chain to switch to
those antennas.

73,

Dave/K8CC

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com