[CQ-Contest] CABRILLO QUESTION

Mike Gilmer - N2MG n2mg at contesting.com
Tue Oct 30 05:09:33 EST 2001

On Mon, 29 October 2001, Zack Widup wrote:

> Although not limited to these types of files, most
> of the file types containing viruses end in
> .exe, .com, .doc, .pif, .xls, .ppt and other
> Microschlock types of programs.

The problem is that files with these extensions
aren't simply "opened" when double-clicked (we're
talking Windows here of course), but are, instead, "executed".  And, thanks to the security
breach called macros, even the lowly .doc and .xls
files are now suspect because Word and Excel can and
will run macros written into what had historically
been considered a non-executable datafile. (Some
versions allow the user to disable the running of
macros - highly recommended.)

> It's unlikely that someone is going to
> send a text file ending in .log with a virus in it.

Files that are not identified as "runnable" by the OS
(regardless of extension: .txt, .log, etc.) are not
executed when opened and if associated with a text
editor, such as MS Notepad or MS Wordpad (or something
equivalent) there's no capability for running anything
hidden in them.  No harm should come from having them
as attachments.  Embedding a "virus" in a text file is
probably worthless.

73,
Mike
n2mg at contesting.com