[CQ-Contest] Echo

George Fremin III - K5TR geoiii at kkn.net
Tue Oct 30 09:06:06 EST 2001

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 08:24:38AM -0600, Richard Thorne wrote:

> This also happened at K5NA's station over the weekend on 10m.  I thought I was
> hearing things.

This happens all the time.

What you are all hearing is a backscatter return of your
signal.  When the conditions are very good in the direction
you are beaming you will sometimes hear this echo.

If you have large high gain antennas you will hear this more
often - since there is more gain on TX and RX in your high gain
system.

Some 6 meter ops have been known to use CW and QSK and
move the antenna around until they start hearing the
scatter echoes - they then know they are beaming in a direction
where the band is open.

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."
geoiii at kkn.net
830-868-2510
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com