[CQ-Contest] Headphones and Uninterruptible Power Supplies

Ron Klein - W0OSK w0osk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 9 17:54:29 EDT 2001

Bob,

I am on an REA here in Colorado. Several years ago they began
offering customers the option of installing a surge protector at the
meter, which is what I have done. That may help with the transient
concern. I still use local surge protectors on the computers in
addition to the whole house protection at the meter.

That, of course, doesn't help with the short outages that a UPS
would cover, but would add some protection for the 220 amps.

73,

Ron - W0OSK

------------------

On 9 Sep 01, at 13:32, Robert Shohet wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am in the process of considering some station changes and would appreciate
> any thoughts/input on:
>
> 1) Sony MDR V600 Headphones
>
> The headphones while constructed fairly cheaply seem to have outstanding
> Stereo audio.  They cost about $100.  Does anyone have any experience with
> these or a similar quality pair?
>
> 2) American Power Conversion (APC) Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)
>
> We get lots of "blips" and "double blips" and voltage spikes here in
> Connecticut.  The radio equipment and amps and computers  DO NOT like this.
> I have been thinking of buying some UPS to solve the spike and blip problem
> and allow for shutoff when we lose power (fairly often).
>
> Does anyone use this?  Any thoughts as to size needed?  What about for the
> amps which run on 220?
> Is there a UPS that can handle 220 + 110 in the same unit?
>
> I am not looking to run the equipment for any length of time when the power
> goes off, just looking to prevent spike damage and to allow for smooth
> equipment operation during the blips and double blips - two interruptions
> less than 30 seconds apart.  With all the severe year-round wx we get, it
> seems that protection is absolutely essential.  Any thoughts and suggestions
> appreciated!
>
> Tnx & 73
>
> Bob KQ2M
>

> --