[CQ-Contest] Headphones and Uninterruptible Power Supplies

Robert Shohet kq2m at mags.net
Sun Sep 9 14:32:32 EDT 2001

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of considering some station changes and would appreciate
any thoughts/input on:

1) Sony MDR V600 Headphones

The headphones while constructed fairly cheaply seem to have outstanding
Stereo audio.  They cost about $100.  Does anyone have any experience with
these or a similar quality pair?

2) American Power Conversion (APC) Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS)

We get lots of "blips" and "double blips" and voltage spikes here in
Connecticut.  The radio equipment and amps and computers  DO NOT like this.
I have been thinking of buying some UPS to solve the spike and blip problem
and allow for shutoff when we lose power (fairly often).

Does anyone use this?  Any thoughts as to size needed?  What about for the
amps which run on 220?
Is there a UPS that can handle 220 + 110 in the same unit?

I am not looking to run the equipment for any length of time when the power
goes off, just looking to prevent spike damage and to allow for smooth
equipment operation during the blips and double blips - two interruptions
less than 30 seconds apart.  With all the severe year-round wx we get, it
seems that protection is absolutely essential.  Any thoughts and suggestions
appreciated!

Tnx & 73

Bob KQ2M

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com