[CQ-Contest] What RF voltage OK at Rx in SO2R?

i4jmy at iol.it i4jmy at iol.it
Mon Sep 24 17:07:34 EDT 2001

Before the active devices in front end receivers there are components
that can't withstand inherently excessive power (i.e. some attenuators
made with 1/4W or 1/8W resistors) or can't withstand it in some (off)
bands because reactive (i.e. some inductors of internal band pass
filters).
Apart the above considerations about the equipment survival, there is
the operational aspect that, in spite of the high claimed RX I.P.
suggest always to minimize the applied signal to the RX antenna
connector in order to receive decently while a TX (or several ones like
in a MM) is keyed. Several tens of dB below the I.P. are highly
recommendable in common situations.
Effective pass band filtering ahead of RX, and harmonic suppression at
TX side (stubs) work quite efficiently in this direction.
When antennas are not spaced enough, and expecially if multiband, the
required attenuation to obtain a safe and satisfactory situation could
be quite a big deal.
When measuring first time what sort of signal is coming down, act as
you where working with your precious spectrum analyzer, put some 20/30
dB power attenuator ahead of your instrumentation.

73,
Mauri I4JMY

M_odulated.

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com