[CQ-Contest] Amplifier venting

Frank Norton KB8XU franknorton at home.com
Thu Sep 27 00:50:31 EDT 2001

Hi All,

I've been running amps for over 25 years the only one I ever ruined was one
I tried to "help" the fan/vent system with a squirrel cage.  The onlysafe
way to keep it cool is to help the venting of the area around the
amps.  Any added fans and u are changing the cabinet airflow which was
engineered at the factory.

This of course voids ur warranty in most cases, plus it causes danger to ur
tubes.  For instance adding duct work to the fan will dramatically change
the air pressure that the amp is venting against.  If ur positive pressure
cage on the back can keep up with increased exhaust u might be ok.  If ur
fan on the back is out of sync in any way with the fan u add--->u smoke ur
tubes, at least.

I wud strongly recommend improving air circulation around the amps with a
very quiet fan, it works both summer and winter, and u can turn it up if u
want to add air blowing on u if u get too hot.  I recommend buying a good
fan!  Not a value special.

73 es gud luck de Frank KB8XU

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com