[CQ-Contest] Amplifier venting

Scott Detloff K8DX k8dx at raex.com
Wed Sep 26 18:22:05 EDT 2001

I'm in the process of designing a venting system for both of my=20
amplifiers, each using a pair of 3CX-800's in a SO2R environment.

The reason for doing this is twofold.  Calling CQ continuously for 48
hours tends to increase the temperature of the amplifier itself, and=20
running additional cooling should help prolong the life of the tubes
as well as other components.  The second is to regulate the shack
temperature.  It seems I'm constantly making runs to open and close
the basement door that leads to the garage in cold weather, and causing
the AC to run excessively in the warm weather.

At Dayton this year, I bought three new identical squirrel cage fans. =20
They move LOTS of air, but are VERY noisy.  My plan is to have an=20
HVAC company make hoods that would attach directly to the amplifier
case with double faced tape, right above the exhaust holes for the =
tubes.
>From the exhaust I'm planning on using the 4" flexible "tin-foil" type
ducting run above my drop ceiling, then out to the garage where the fan
can be mounted.  Hopefully this would dramatically cut down on the=20
shack noise, having the fan so far away. =20

Any experiences you've had, or ideas that you have would be greatly
appreciated so I don't end up re-inventing the wheel! :-)

73...Scott

Scott Detloff K8DX
Paris, Ohio
Visit The North Coast Contesters @  www.qsl.net/ncc