[CQ-Contest] Amplifier venting

kk9a at arrl.net kk9a at arrl.net
Fri Sep 28 21:16:52 EDT 2001

I should have explained this better, but I was in a hurry.   A sail switch
mounts onto the side of a duct and has a large sail which sticks inside the
duct.  If the air is flowing it pushes on the sail and closes the switch
contacts.  When the air stops flowing a light spring pushes the sail back
into the original position and the switch contacts open.  They are commonly
used in furnaces to turn on electronic air cleaners and humidifiers. I know
Honeywell makes one which can be purchased at any place that sells HVAC
supplies.  They're not real expensive certainly much less then new tubes
should your fan fail. Good luck Scott, hope to work you in CQWW

John  KK9A / P40A

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Detloff K8DX
To: kk9a at arrl.net
Sent: 9/27/2001 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Amplifier venting

Hi John,

I guess this might be a stupid question.  What's a
sail switch?


Scott Detloff K8DX
Paris, Ohio
Visit The North Coast Contesters @  www.qsl.net/ncc
Tour K8DX @  www.qsl.net/k8dx
----- Original Message -----
From: <kk9a at arrl.net>
To: <k8dx at raex.com>; <cq-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 8:41 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Amplifier venting

> Scott:
> You could put a sail switch in the duct and have it
> turn off your amp should the fan fail.
> If you have an unlimited budget, you could purchase
> amps with a remote head and put the amps in another
> room with an open window.
> 73,
> John

CQ-Contest on WWW: http://lists.contesting.com/_cq-contest/
Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com

More information about the CQ-Contest mailing list