[CQ-Contest] SO2R - is it fair?

Jim White k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Apr 23 23:13:52 EDT 2002

I think

WPR

will suffice :-) as an abbreviation for the Puerto Rico advantage...what is interesting however is that WP3R can be beat...and not from the Carribean.

K1TO did it a couple of years ago - yes, there is no doubtr there is some major advantage to being the "DX" in a domestic contest....but after talking wiht a number of guys who have done SS from KP4 they do not exactly have a cake walk when the bands go long on Saturday night....

As far SO2R being unfair - I go back to my yearly speach - it is one set of gray cells versus another set of gray cells in single operator (and may the finest tuned gray cells win)...i.e. - I don't care if it is SO6R as long as it isn't assisted operation the winner is the one who has taught his brain to best process as much information asd possible to maximize his score.  And yes, someone who can juggle multiple radios like N5TJ or K1TO can has a definate advantage over my brain cells which aren't as good....and I also can't shoot billiards as well as K1TO but I am not asking him to spot me a few balls in 8 ball, either.

If a guy can tune a rig with each and and each foot, send with both hands, type with one hand on two different keyboards and run CW pileups at over 300 per hour - congratulations to him for maximizing the human brain and he deserves to be the winner...

Do not create a category for this - unless you want to create a category for state of the art rigs with DSP versus those without...and Prntium computer logging versus older DOS 486es, etc...

Its about the operator...the really good ones can juggle it all and still tell you you logged somehting wrong via a talk message at a multi-op...I have seen K1TO correct my callsign logging errors in the middle of a JA run - he was running over 150 an hour at the time....

Its the operator....PERIOD.

K4OJ

multipart/alternative
  text/html