[CQ-Contest] [SECC] Eyes and Contests (fwd)

Bill Fisher, W4AN w4an at CONTESTING.COM
Wed Apr 24 10:45:01 EDT 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 08:34:15 -0400
From: Jay Pryor <jpryor at ARCHES.UGA.EDU>
To: SECC at contesting.com
Subject: [SECC] Eyes and Contests

I'm passing this along so you will be aware of this possibility . . .

For the past four or five years when I operated in contests, I got blurred
vision.  Not just blurry vision but vision that is seriously blurred -- to
the extent that it would be dangerous to operate a car, which I have
done.  About a month ago I was diagnosed as having glaucoma.  This week I
learned that I have intermittent acute angle glaucoma.  The onset is caused
by dilated pupils.  When the pupils are dilated for long periods of time,
like when I'm sitting in a fairly dark room in front of radios, pressure
builds in my eyes and blurred vision results.

The good news is that it can be fixed.  In fact the kind that I have is the
only form of glaucoma that can be fixed.  The eye doc fixed the right eye
yesterday with a laser and will treat the left eye on Friday.  This is a
rare condition, but if you get seriously blurred vision when you contest
for long periods of time you might want have your eyes checked by an
ophthalmologist.  In fact it isn't a bad idea anyway.

FWIW,

Jay/K4OGG