[CQ-Contest] FYI - Virus Address Spoofing

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Wed Apr 24 15:17:55 EDT 2002

I have been receiving these types of notices for several weeks.

They all have a ham "theme" to them, in that many of the emails are hams.

So, someone, probably one of the contesting community, has an email virus on
their machine running rampant.

Several of us have communicated about it and we all know that it's not our
machines.

The virus that does this is called:

KLEZ.E.WORM

It uses the:

MIMEEXPLOIT.IFRAME

weakness of Outlook and Internet Explorer.

The w32.klez.e at mm virus, also known as the "Klez" virus, is a mass mailing
e-mail worm that copies itself to network shares and distributes itself to
all of the Address Book entries on the affected computer's Outlook Address
Book.

You can read about it here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316658

These things are real, and if you don't have up-to-date virus protection, it
might be your computer doing it.

I thought SPAM was bad enough, now I get all of these rejected email
messages.

73,
N5NJ