[CQ-Contest] SO2R Nonsense

Robert Shohet kq2m at mags.net
Wed Apr 24 15:07:38 EDT 2002

This thread is almost as old as SO2R itself and keeps coming up every year.

OK, here it is:

1) SO2R is an advantage over SO1R, but ONLY for those operators who gain
more with the 2nd radio than they lose on the 1st radio.  REREAD THAT
PLEASE!

Many people try SO2R, discover that it's tougher than they thought and
really mess up with the first radio (as well as the 2nd radio), get
flustered and really tired and frustrated, and LOSE SCORE compare to simply
being SO1R.  Plus the discouragement they feel REDUCES their energy level
and their score further.

IMO, computer logging was a quantum leap over paper logging, and in my case,
I KNOW that computer software has helped increase my efficiency and score
FAR MORE than adding a 2nd radio ever did!  Despite that, the contest
sponsors didn't see fit to put create a new category for computer loggers -
they were right NOT to do so.

Sure software costs less than a 2nd station, but you can borrow a 2nd radio
and amp and it costs a lot less to build a wirebeam that it does for
computer software!

2) This $5,000, - $10,000 for SO2R is TOTAL NONSENSE!  While I don't doubt
that some have spent this and more, I started with a USED TS830, USED SB220
and a few wire antennas.

Total cost MAYBE was $1,200, and that was 15 years ago.  Today you could buy
them for less.  Heck, someone would probably give you the TS830 for FREE!
What does it cost to build a 20 M Inverted V out of spare wire and RG8X?
$10?  The computer that I used was a really slow 286.  It would have cost
more to throw it away than to use it!

Even as recently as 4 years ago, I was still using a TS940 and SB220 with a
few wire antennas as my 2nd radio.  Good enough to beat quite a few
Northeastern good ops with stacks and real SO2R capability and come in 3rd
in ARRLDXCW SOABHP Unassisted and finish in the top-ten in ARRLDX and CQWW
each year.  As many have said, SKILL COUNTS!

3) I still DO NOT use automatic ant/radio/amp switching.  I have some of the
stuff I need but I never installed it.  I'm not sure that it will be durable
enough and I don't have the time to install it.  IT IS NOT NECESSARY for
competitive SO2R, but it sure makes it more fun and more efficient if you
have it.

So spend (or don't spend) all the money you want, but understand that MONEY
ALONE does not change the standings.  A great opr at a decent station will
almost always beat a decent opr at a great station!

4)  Competitive SO2R is primarily about skill building, operating efficiency
and challenging yourself.  Operating 2 radios (or more) is a skill that is
developed.  While some may be born with more inherent talent than others (no
different than athletes, musicians, or anything else), a real "pro" takes
pride in it, works at it and seeks to find new things to do to aid the
operation.  The more you push yourself, the better your skills get, and the
more often you push yourself, the more consistent the improvement and the
higher the baseline level of skill available for next time.

I haven't nearly maxed out my skill level yet.  If I gave it as much time as
I do my career, I would probably be an order of magnitude better at it with
that much LESS effort.  I can't wait to hear when someone has managed to
"perfect" a really efficient SO3R.  I don't think it has happened yet, but I
am sure it will and I will applaud it when it does!

5) I won't address all the other areas covered, but suffice it to say that
life is unfair and contesting is unfair.  There will NEVER be a level
playing field: there will never be equal propagation, or equal disposable
income, or equal location, or equal time flexibility, or equal anything -
that's just how it is. So, I try to focus on a few key things:

1) Having fun
2) Improving myself and my skills
3) Competing with myself, and
4) Talking with my friends

IMO, that's really all that should matter, and leads to maximum enjoyment.

I can NEVER win SS Phone from Connecticut, but I can still enjoy operating
in it (one of my favorite contests) and I won't ask for the contest sponsor
to create a new category to give me a better chance to win.

Someone can go to a big station in Nev or PR and make 30% more q's and score
than me, SO WHAT?

If they can use 8 radios and increase that to 40% more q's than me , SO
WHAT?  They should be congratulated for their extra effort!

I know, that's not how everyone feels.  That's simply my opinion.  I leave
the judicious use of categories to the contest sponsors.

In the meantime, and as the debate rages on, please remember that what
matters most is to get on, operate and try to have fun.

73

Bob KQ2M