[CQ-Contest] [SECC] Eyes and Contests (fwd)

Barry w2up at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 24 16:55:31 EDT 2002

On 24 Apr 02, at 10:06, Bob, N5RP wrote:

> At 09:45 4/24/2002 -0400, Bill Fisher, W4AN wrote:
> >I'm passing this along so you will be aware of this possibility . . .
> >
> >For the past four or five years when I operated in contests, I got
> >blurred vision.
> <snip>
> =========================>
> Yes, as Bill mentions, the torture on the eyes from hamming in front
> of computers presents some real dangers and problems to our aging
> community.
>
> I've done some research on this very problem for my own benefit, and
> my wife, for my benefit, has done some looking around for information
> on the subject, as well.
>
> Before I dare get in trouble for "impersonating" a professional by
> mentioning what I came to discover on the subject, are there any
> professionals out there in the commercial interior design or medical
> arena that might wish to comment on the ergonomics of a properly
> designed station layout as it applies to eye strain and eye damage to
> our aging contest community? . Bob Perring
> ........................................... Amateur Radio Station
> N5RP mailto:N5RP at pdq.net N5RP Station Page:
> http://freeweb.pdq.net/perring/station.html

Ergonomics of computer use - nothing earth-shattering here. The
monitor should be at eye level, not above. This is more to prevent
neck problems than eye problems.  The focusing muscles in the
eyes contract to focus close up, such as on a monitor.  This does
no harm, but may lead to "eyestrain" or headache.  The focusing
muscles relax to their resting state when you look across the room
- not a bad idea to do this periodically. If you are over 40-45, and
you don't wear glasses, you probably will need them for extended
close work.  If you do wear glasses already for distance, you
probably will need correction for close work.

Glaucoma - Glaucoma is a disease of optic nerve damage that can
lead to blindness without treatment.  There are many kinds of
glaucoma. The most common type is open-angle glaucoma
(90+%). It is slowly progressive over months to years. In its early
stages, it is usually without symptoms.  By the time you notice a
"blind spot" in your vision, about 90% of your field of vision is gone
and cannot be recovered.  It is usually treated with eye drops,
sometimes with laser, sometimes with surgery.
Narrow (or closed) angle glaucoma is much less common, but is a
medical emergency, often leading to blindness within a few days, if
not treated.  Symptoms may include pain, redness, blurry vision
and headache. It most often occurs in dim lighting, such as movie
theaters and ham shacks. The "glaucoma attack" may be initially
treated with medication, then followed by laser, which is usually
curative.
2% of Americans of European descent have glaucoma. 10% of
Americans of African descent have glaucoma.  It often runs in
families, but not necessarily.

If you are over 40, have your eyes examined every 2 years, even if
you have no problems with them. If you are diabetic, make that
every year.

73,
Dr. Barry, W2UP

Disclaimer - I am an ophthalmologist licensed to practice medicine
in PA and NJ.  This e-mail is general information only and should
not be interpreted as medical advice or the practice of medicine.

Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up at mindspring.com