[CQ-Contest] Small rigs

Jeff Stai WK6I wk6i at twistedoak.com
Mon Aug 12 11:33:21 EDT 2002

At 03:38 PM 8/11/2002, Dick Frey wrote:
>I am looking for a small rig to take on a low pressure DX-pedition.
>The country's power limit is 150W.  The obvious answer is one of the smaller
>"mobile rigs'  IC706, TS-50S, FT-100, etc.

The 100W version of the Elecraft K2 is the best small CW rig, hands down, if
you can get your hands on one - or if you have the time to build one before
the trip.

I would not recommend the FT-100 for multi-tx: it seems to have some sort of
low-level broadband noise it spits out that is enough to really annoy other
nearby rigs. Filtering will clean it up, but that would seem to defeat your
size purpose. Other than that, the 100 is a pretty nice rig.

hope this helps - 73 - jeff wk6i

>My question is which of the above is the best CW rig for a multiple
>transmitter environment? I do not need 2m or 432 but 6m would be nice.
>
>Dick Frey    k4xu

Jeff Stai       Twisted Oak Winery LLC
Email           jds at twistedoak.com
Amateur Radio   WK6I