[CQ-Contest] Small rigs

Bob Henderson bob at cytanet.com.cy
Tue Aug 13 07:25:45 EDT 2002

Hi Dick

Beware the IC706 in a multi rig environment.  Steve G3VMW and I tried this a
few years ago and it was horrible.  The 706 meets it's small size spec by
missing out some pretty important stuff....filtering!  As a consequence the
706 generates some very significant broadband synth trash as soon as you go
to transmit....even with the key up.  This problem stopped us using 706's on
DXpeditions where there was to be more than just one station on the air.
The TS50 doesn't seem to have this problem but it doesn't have 6m. I have no
experience of the FT100.

Roger G3SXW and I have used TS570s very successfully in multi-station
expedition set ups but they are rather larger than the radios you've
mentioned.

My own DXpedition rig of choice is now easily the Elecraft K2/100.  No 6m
but boy what a radio.  Superb rx performance and excellent QSK.  Again a
little bigger than the 706 etc but still only 8 x 8.5 x 3 inches and easily
fits in hand baggage.  It comes in kit form so you have to build it, though
if you wanted to buy one ready made I think you could find one easily with a
mail to the Elecraft reflector.  There are folks out there who are in love
with just building the things!

Have fun.

73

Bob 5B4AGN, P3F, ZC4ZM