[CQ-Contest] ICOM 775 vs ICOM 756 PRO 2 vs YAESU FT 1000 MP5

Bill k6km at cncnet.com
Thu Aug 22 21:08:08 EDT 2002

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com wrote:

> Ah, the joys of living in Florida...another lightning hit.  It looks like the
> main xcvr, an Icom 775 is toast.  The other 775 was not in line so it looks
> like it is clean.
>
> Insurance will be buying a new transceiver and since the 775 is approximately
> the same price, if not more than the 756 Pro and the FT 1000MP5, it looks
> like decision time.  I loved the 775 and am tempted to get another.  The
> reliability and simplicity of use are great.  I have also heard very nice
> things about the 756 and the 1000.

Et C

Hey Bill,

There are a lot of super nifty radios out there. The most obvious
issue, to me, is similarity between your two radios. Personally,
I have minor problems moving between an MP and an MP MkV.
Many of the important push buttons are in different places, and
the DSP works on one radio and it's dog poo on the other.

If you are sufficiently mental agile, how about the new
Ten Tec, (Orion?) as the second radio? Amazing specs,
but no user reports yet.

Or, if you're really brave, how about the Elecraft K2 with
the 100W (and several other) additions. Mine has been on
loan far more than it has been here, but I fell in love with
it (at the five watt level) in the few hours that I've been
able to use it. Check it out. Would you FEEL competitive
with your rig about the same size as a big 2M box?

Neat problem you have. I look fwd to reading other