[CQ-Contest] ICOM 775 vs ICOM 756 PRO 2 vs YAESU FT 1000 MP5

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Fri Aug 23 00:55:03 EDT 2002

Bill,

Dayton 1995.  There I was, owner of two IC-765s which I was very pleased
with, and wrestling with the exact same decision as you.  IC-775 or
FT-1000D?  W8WD and I must have walked between the ICOM and Yaesu booths a
half dozen times.

My decision was compounded by the fact that I harbored an active dislike
for Yaesu radios.  I owned (and still own) a FT-107M (the WHITE radio) with
which I won the 1984 ARRL ARRL DX CW from HR1DAP.  Still, every other Yaesu
HF radio I used struck me as rather odd: FT-101s (any version), the FT-102
and any model of the FT-7x7 family.  I harbored a secret fondness for the
FT-ONE which I got to use at N5AU in the 1982 CQWW, but it still had its
oddities and a huge price tag to boot.

I walked out of Dayton 1995 with a brand new FT-1000D.  In the seven years
since I've acquired four more used ones ("Ya got a used FT-1000D for sale,
call K8CC - he'll buy it" :-)).  Another FT-1000D is a long term guest in
the shack, courtesy of a friend on assignment in DL-land.  This past
January I bought a used FT-1000MP from AES to see if I was missing
anything.  Multi-multis consume lots of radios...

When I sit down to single op, the FT-1000D is radio I get behind.  Compared
to my IC-765s, its a much better SSB radio which is what I was looking to
improve.  The SSB crystal filtering of that era (dual 2.7 KHz filters
yielding a -6dB bandwidth of 2.4 KHz) was not narrow enough.  The IC-775
struck me as a DSP wrapped around the back end of a IC-765.

I am a big fan of "simple to operate".  In this regard, the FT-1000D is
better than the FT-1000MP, although I've gotten used to it by now.  The
TS-950SDX IMO was the worst in this regard - lots of little knobs with
medium gray legends which were difficult to read.

K6KM makes an excellent point - if you're going to do SO2R, you really need
two radios of the same model.  I did 1991 SS with one IC-765 and one
IC-761.  Same front panels, but different controls in different spots.  The
same condition exists between the FT-1000MP and MKV/Field.

So there are a few data points to consider.  If all you can do is replace
the blasted radio, I'd get another IC-775.  If you want simple to use,
150W+ and competitive capabilities, I'd sell the IC-775 and get two FT-1000Ds.

FWIW

73,

Dave/K8CC