[CQ-Contest] ts-850

Michael Brown k9mi at arrl.net
Wed Aug 28 00:18:22 EDT 2002

Sean, although you may feel like you stepped
backwards, you actually took a big step forward
in comparing a 570 to an 850 as a contest rig.
I've had both. To connect to a pc for rig control,
there are several choices you can make. You
can build your own, or guys like W1GEE sells
them for about 40 bucks. Just do a search on
W1GEE and it will show his site. Same thing
goes for the cw keying. You can build a serial
interface with directions that usually come with
your logging software, or purchase interfaces
such as sold on the TRLog web site made by
W1WEF. There are 3 models that range from
$25 or so to around $50. In an actual contest,
I think you'll find the 850 is much better in
handling the QRM then the 570. For CW use,
I had 2 400 hz Inrad filters in mine, and it worked
well. On the antenna part, I've never used
seperate antennas for transmit and receive,
so I'm not much help there, but I have seen the
mod, so it can be done. Hang in there, because
you DID make the right decision.

73 - Mike K9MI