[CQ-Contest] Post-Contest Confirmation

Ward Silver hwardsil at centurytel.net
Sun Dec 1 18:13:19 EST 2002

Hi all,

I believe Kelly VE4XT has it right - just decline and explain nicely why you are declining without accusing them of grand larceny.

Remember - for them it was probably just a fun experiment in contesting.  We all probably screwed up Big Time in our first two or three (or ???) contests and weren't tar and feathered for it.  As a matter of fact, I recall thinking it would be fun to steal a frequency in my first phone SS - before even getting a license.  Luckily, I was corrected on the spot.  It probably requires many contests before the finer points of contesting ethics begin to matter to a beginner who is just trying to make QSOs in what sounds like utter chaos.  The key to correcting the misconception about post-contest confirmations is education, not vitriol.  I would like to see these folks come back enlightened, not driven away from contesting.

So what if it turns out to be some sleazy and underhanded Internet scam?  You still won't have given out the information...

73, Ward N0AX

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---