[CQ-Contest] Short contest calls.

Tim Makins, EI8IC contesting at eircom.net
Mon Dec 2 16:47:28 EST 2002

Although there are no international regulations saying you must use a
sensible prefix, why on earth wouldn't you want to do so ? By having a
callsign that confuses everybody, you are just wasting their time as well as
your own. You lose operating time generated by frequent location requests,
whilst they lose time in other ways. I wonder how many people waited for the
beam to swing around to what they thought was the correct direction, noticed
the signal got weaker, and tried to peak it by guesswork or ear ? Or how
many sat in a pileup for a new mult, only to find it was xxx-ville. Or spent
time wondering how to get their logger to accept the call ? And what right
have they got to waste the time of busy people like Jim AD1C and others who
have to track them down and enter them into the .cty lists ??? This is pure
selfishness on behalf of the operator. Whatever the reasons for holding on
to their cherished or 'cool' callsign, I would like them banned from all
future contests.

Final thought: We may as well all pay for North Korean callsigns, and use
them, in my case, /EI
Should be good for a few pileups ? What do you think ?

73s Tim P5ABC/EI
.
.
.