[CQ-Contest] Re: Short contest calls.

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw at fyi.net
Tue Dec 3 21:15:45 EST 2002

Chris,

You think you had it bad?  At least most people figured a "KL" prefix
probably had SOMETHING to do with Alaska, even if they hadn't heard that the
FCC had finally allocated the entire A/K/N/WL# blocks, not just the "7"
calls.

Same thing with the A/K/N/WH7 calls... most people adjusted in a hurry.

Now me, I've had this call for 29 out of my 30 years licensed (including the
2 years at college between tickets), and of that, only a little more than a
year was as a Novice... yet to this day, I hear about it.  Of course,
nowadays, most assume it's a re-assigned vanity call, and I no longer have
drunk hams chase me off repeaters (true!) or try to jam me off the air (also
true!) as a bootlegger or intruder...

(But at least it helps in the CQ WPX contests a little!)

I guess I could find a nice vanity 1x2, but most of the obvious ones (N3VA,
N3AW, W3AW, W3VA, N3RJ) are taken (or were the last time I checked), and I
just never cottoned to the notion of being a 2x1 or 1x3 (nothing wrong with
it, just not for me), at least domestically.

But it's not my fault!  (Yes, like so many in today's litigious society, I
have someone to blame!)  It's Trey's fault!  And the ARRL's!  See, if I
hadn't read in QST about Trey getting WN4KKN back, way, WAY back when, I
would never have put that note on the bottom of my Form 610 and asked for it
back...

73, ron wn3vaw

"You used up all the glue ON PURPOSE!"
In Memory of Shep K2ORS (SK) and 10:15 PM on WOR 710 AM