[CQ-Contest] Short calls-the solution

Ed Parish K1EP k1ep at arrl.net
Wed Dec 4 10:26:59 EST 2002

At 06:32 AM 12/4/02 -0800, Leigh S. Jones wrote:
>Maybe, but maybe not.  For instance, in the CQWW you are awarded multipliers
>according to zone and country.  If the zone you send (e.g., 1, 3, 4, 5) makes it clear
>which country you are in, then why require it?

Because when he is calling CQ, he is sending "CQ TEST K2G" and not "CQ TEST K2G ZONE 27".

I don't use packet, so when I S&P and find someone calling CQ with a K2G call, I will not stop and try to work him in CQWW.  And even if he is working someone, as soon as I hear the K2G call, I probably won't stick around to hear the 5NN 27 that might follow.  It's his loss.  Somehow sending an extra letter, e.g. KH2G seems worth it to me.

>I could chuckle at the ARRL rule when a station calls me
>with a callsign from the KG4AAA block -- that's a USA 4th district callsign...
>does he have to sign KG4AAA/W4?

Why would he have to sign /W4?  Only KG4 calls that are 2x2 are from Guantanamo Bay.