[CQ-Contest] Misleading callsigns

Ron Notarius WN3VAW wn3vaw at fyi.net
Sun Dec 8 13:06:42 EST 2002

Steve,

You're absolutely right.  Since the advent of the current vanity call sign
system, the digit in a US domestic call no longer can be counted on to
identify even the region where the amateur was first licensed.

But this is not a "retrograde" step for contests.  It has been going on
since the existing US call structure was adopted and implemented in 1978.
What has changed is that many contests (not just ARRL or CQ ones) have been
pressured to drop rules that required contestants to send some sort of
identifier to indicate what region they are in if it is not clear from the
call, often by amateurs arguing that it is no longer an FCC requirement, so
they shouldn't have to do it.

The real problem is more of how to deal with amateurs like KH2D, who is now
(even if not required legally to sign so) W4/KH2D in Florida, or the little
ambiguities like knowing that a KG4 2x2 is Guantanamo Bay but a KG4 2x1 or
2x3 isn't, or some of the pre-1978 calls (like KG6DX in Guam, and many of
the KV4 2x2 calls in the USVI) that kept their "old" prefixes before the
change.  But a lot of that comes into experience -- if you have it, you
know, if you don't have it, this will gain it for you.

I'm afraid you're just going to have to listen for an exchange to know for
sure.  But by the same token, if you hear a station you haven't already
worked, why not work him/her anyway?  If you're S&P'ing, you're already on
the frequency when you hear the station; if you're sitting on a frequency
CQ'ing, it just takes 20-30 seconds at most to work'em.  Yes, I know you're
often looking for multipliers, but you also have to have the stations to
apply the mults too... right?

73, ron wn3vaw

"You used up all the glue ON PURPOSE!"
In Memory of Shep K2ORS (SK) and 10:15 PM on WOR 710 AM