[CQ-Contest] But I didn't inhale!

Michael Keane, K1MK k1mk at arrl.net
Tue Dec 10 08:10:47 EST 2002

"Larry N7DF" wrote:

> When I turned on the radio Sunday morning in the ARRL 160 contest it
> happened to be set on 1831.3. Much to my surprise I heard NL7Z calling
> CQ on frequency with no answers. I called him, barefoot, and worked him
> right away. As the linear warmed up and I tuned the band for new
> stations I continued listening to him on the second receiver but he
> wasn’t getting any calls.
>
> Since the internet computer was warmed up and already logged in to the
> internet downloading my e-mail, I decided to post him to the DX Summit
> packet cluster. Within seconds he had a pileup. But, several of the
> stations that called him in the next two minutes or so were stations
> that always report their logs as unassisted.
>
> Now; I always operate unassisted and do not activate the packet cluster
> during contests. This is the first time I have ever brought it up while
> I was still in a contest. I guess though, that under the rules, I will
> have to report my entry as assisted even though I "didn’t inhale".

A single op who connects to the cluster and only sends out spots doesn't
put himself in the assisted category. If you receive any assistance you
become assisted; if you only provide assistance, you remain unassisted.

Typically, contest logging programs implement a "spot but don't inhale"
type of firewall that permits an unassisted single op to send out spots
without ever seeing traffic on the cluster.

Using a web-based interface, telnet window or a crt screen to access the
cluster may place one in something of an ethical grey area. Under those
circumstances is it possible to spot without taking some notice (perhaps
subconciously) of anything else that might happen to be on the screen?

73,
Mike K1MK

Michael Keane K1MK
k1mk at arrl.net