[CQ-Contest] Little Gun Dilemma: Callsign not acknowledged

Bill at ng3k.com Bill at ng3k.com
Tue Feb 19 12:22:38 EST 2002

ARRL DX CW Exchange:

1  he: test big0gun

2  me: ng3k

3  he: ng3 599 kw

4  me: tu ng3k 599 md

5  he: r big0gun test

This is indeed the argument for:

4  me: ng3k

And most of the time I do this, but if I believe the
operator to be solid, I sometimes make an exception
in the interest of not slowing down his run. Of
course, what I expect to get (and most often do) in
return is:

5  he: 3k r big0gun test  (or somesuch)

If it didn't work this way most of the time, I would
never send my exchange at 4.

So, I'm running 5 watts into a wire and big0gun is
off working the pileup now. I try to confirm that he
has copied my call correctly. Either he can't hear
me or he ignores me (I have know way to tell the
difference).

If you're big0gun, what is your preference?  Should
I have sent only my call at 4 and not worried about
slowing down your run?  Should I try to work you again
later?  Should I assume you've copied my call correctly
and log you?  Do I not log you? Any other thoughts or
suggestions?

Clue: I'm not going to hang around until mammoth size
pile-up (tm) clears.  I know I'm not going to win, but
I still like to do as well as I can.

At step 4, my personal preference is:

4  me: big0gun r ng3k 599 md

but this does slow things down and very few do it, so
I "go along".  And I suppose big0gun has no real vested
interest in whether or not I get his call correct.  As
long as I'm close and I log it, he'll get his points.
But, by the same token, if he has my callsign slightly
wrong, he looses points, but I get mine.

73,

Bill/NG3K

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com