[CQ-Contest] SO2R Question

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Thu Feb 28 16:32:34 EST 2002

On 2/27/02 3:06 PM, Ford Peterson at ford at cmgate.com wrote:

>Is a radio capable of operation on two separate frequencies (dual receivers)
>considered 2 radios for SO2R?

Only if it can receive on one receiver while transmitting.

>If I understand it correctly, a dual receiver radio is not SO2R.

Only because no commercially available rig with dual receive can receive
while it is transmitting.

>So if I
>use the receiver on a second radio, which just happens to be a transceiver,
>am I SO2R or not?

First of all, contests distinguish categories by the number of
TRANSMITTERS, not receivers. And the issue is the number of transmitters
used SIMILTANEOUSLY.

Second, SO2R is possible with two receivers and one frequency-agile
transmitter.

Third, I'd like to point out that in the olden days, separate receivers
and transmitters were common. Indeed, some operators built multiple
band-specific transmitters. (Didn't W6AM have a setup like this?) It was
never an issue how many boxes you had on your desk, or in your shack --
and it shouldn't be an issue today.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901