[CQ-Contest] ROTTEN OPERATING

Frank W8HO W8HO at qsl.net
Wed Jan 2 22:37:37 EST 2002

Scott, u make a very eloquent presentation of my point, THANKS!

As far as the hand key goes at 25 wpm on a bencher (iambic dual paddle I
assume) I think u are doing a great job if u can send clean code without an
electronic keyer, and minimal swing or rhythm variance.  25 wpm is an
excellent base to build to faster rates if u like.  Do u enjoy the purity
of sending without an electronic keyer, or is it simply a matter of not
having an electronic available?

Some of my friends pride themselves on never using an electronic keyer,
heck some only use a straight key!  (I'll tell u they all have a fist u can
identify, no one I've heard sends above 25 wpm on a single paddle or
straight key without a noticeable swing, that I have ever heard !)  As for
me, I use an electronic keyer in contests to be sure I send as clean of a
signal as possible.  Which I believe increases rate efficiency.   Therefor
maximizing my final score.

I certainly favor maximizing productivity and enjoyment of each QSO.  As
one OM posted, I can't afford a chain of 10 wpm cw school exchanges, where
each party exchanges callsigns 3 times etc., there is a need for efficiency
as well as encouraging newbies to participate in contesting.  My goal is
that every person I have a QSO with in a contest goes away with a smile on
their face---knowing who they contacted without a doubt, and feeling that
it was a clean exchange, done as efficiently as possible.  I don't know if
u know what I mean, but if u have a contact like that u will.  It is
becomes very clear when u have had a couple of contacts where u have had to
listen to poorly sent code, at a variable rate.  You end up either cutting
off the caller, or getting caught in an endless loop of please repeat
ur....?......?......? etc. Not a pleasant prospect in either case.

Well, enough of my opinions.....let's hear from some others about their
contesting habits, or protocols.  I'm sure there are a lot of wonderful
ideas about how to improve ur scores and increase the pool of new
contesters.  Let's hear from you!!

73 de Frank W8HO

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com