[CQ-Contest] Quick Poll

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jan 10 23:06:46 EST 2002

W4EF de K4OJ

Elmer! How are you!  Hope things are going well for you on the West coast.

My gripe is that the ARRL is almost covertly approaching this, and then
after the fact saying oh but of course we have much more planned for you
contest guys!

some directors have said that instead of page space for line scores they
will use that space for articles about operating - I just plain do not
believe them - especially since they say their motivation is cutting cost
which means cutting page count which means the pages where these proposed
article on operating would go do not exist!

I am for expanded web coverage of contests - of course - most active
contesters are number related guys who like more than a line score but all
kinds of breakdowns to look at to better understand their weaknesses versus
the competition...it wouldn't make sense to re-vamp your 15 meter antennas
if you had as more 15 meter QSOs than anyone else but were weaker on 20, but
this is for the hardcore contester.

Where does the hardcore contester come from?  He comes from the guy who
makes a couple of QSOs in his first contest and then sees his callsign - HIS
VERY OWN CALLSIGN - IN PRINT IN A NATIONAL MAGAZINE.  He then improves his
skills and watches that callsign rise in his section listing...he sees who
else is interested in contesting in his section each time he checks the
results and he befriends like minded hams...voila he is now expanding his
knowledge and is getting to the point where he has something to sell -
probably not by virtue of his score but by showing his ability to keep his
butt in a chair as a competitor, he has made a commitment....

The new competitor gets invited to the multi-op where he has been invited by
virtue of the station owner seeing his scores rise in the ranks of the
section - he is rewarded for it.  He know rubs elbows with contest elmers
and learns how to better increase his operating skills, he learns about the
gray line...he learns about long path...he learns how to maximize
communications ability by knowing the bands are open to any point on the
globe at a certain time - it is not just fat bank accounts and having a big
antenna that nets big QSO numbers - it is KNOWLEDGE!

This will cease happening if the new guy doesn't have a "face" - contesting
is not, NOT

NOT

just for the bug guns...this is an ugly perception made by non-contesters
and one which will only be enhanced by the presence of top ten boxes and
winners only.

The ARRL is a membership organization and like most, your average guy is
pretty much so a nobody - but, through operating he has had a chance to be
somebody when he turned his log into the ARRL...now, if this goes through -
why should he bother?

I don't know about you now that you are on the West Coast but it sure seems
to me that the amount of European contest activity is up - the winning
scores in contests are up - and it is not just the cycle...when you can
spend hours of back to back over 100 QSO/hour rates just working Europeans I
question if contesting is a decreasing activity - on the contrary it seems!

There is a warm feeling associated with operating, you share something with
another human being - sometimes he is on the other side of the gray line and
one day you meet him at Dayton and even though you have never met face to
face you spend hours talking and he is a friend...this is the comradery I
know and enjoy amongst contesters!

Perception is reality - by the way has anyone on CQ-Contest been surveyed
regarding QST contest - looking pretty slow, Mark?

I strongly urge the Board of Directors to out and out take a stand - are you
for encouraging contesters or are we just a means to an end for you to sell
advertising and have you forgotten that the second R in ARRL was for Relay
as in message handling  as in something operators do.

Don't forget the roots of the hobby - and don't disguise your actions as
solely keeping touch with the times...there are still a lot of hams who
enjoy operating.

73,

Jim White, K4OJ

cc: ARRL BOD and HQ staff