[CQ-Contest] QST

Kelly Taylor autonews at shaw.ca
Sat Jan 12 16:37:37 EST 2002

Funny, I didn't see anything in Mark's post that suggested this was about
trimming costs.

I think what QST is doing is what any responsible periodical does when faced
with shrinking newshole: find new ways to present material. I for one
embrace the idea of putting full results on the Web and devoting more space
to photographs, writeups and boxscores.

If we want to reach out to non-contesters in an age where it is becoming
less feasible to include full results, I think interesting copy, good photos
and winner's boxes are the way to go.

Sure, it may mean a hit to our egos when we don't see our callsign buried
amongst the thousand others, but isn't that a good incentive to upgrade
skills and station and make it into the winner's boxes.

I do believe that this will require expansion of the winners' boxes,
however. I don't feel that the Top 10 stations in New England in a DX
contest are necessarily the Top 10 stations in North America simply because
they made the most QSOs. There needs to be more delineation of geography
than simply by continents, given how disparately the gods of propagation
smile down upon various regions.

As for those who suggest we pull support for the ARRL over this, just how
ill-informed are you?

73, ve4xt

Administrative requests: cq-contest-REQUEST at contesting.com